Monday, June 9, 2008

What a Difference a Day Makes

OK, so here I am...finally. I have been promising people that I was going to start blogging ever since I was pregnant with Colton. Well, I'm now planning his 1st birthday, so I guess now is as good of time as any. Where on earth do I start? This past year has been a total blur. I guess that's why I finally admitted to myself I need to do this in order to keep everyone up to date on all the new things in the Johnson Household. Alot of my friends make fun of me and tell me that Brad and I are hermits. I use to love hanging out with the girls, and still do on occasions, but I think I've become a different person. Something changed me when I had Colton. Whether it was the complications after surgery, going from one to two children, turning "30", or just starting all over again with a new baby....something changed. We spend our Friday and Saturday nights at home with the kids instead of out with friends. We take the kids places during the day instead of shopping with the girls. Don't get me wrong, I cherish my "grown-up" conversations with my girlfriends, but my babies are my world right now. I feel like I want to squeeze every memory out that I can. I closed my eyes and my precious baby Raelee is now a Big Sis. My next blink and Colton will be playing T-ball. There is one thing I regret. I have been so busy BEING busy, that I have not ENJOYED all of those memories. I was laying in bed last night after an exhausting weekend and it hit me......make it simple,enjoy the little things. So this morning I woke up, and that's excatly what we did. Brad was at the fire station so it was just me and the kiddos. After we ate lunch I told Raelee to pack some snacks and we were going to go outside and have a picnic (her favorite). We got snacks, juice, toys, bubbles and a blanket and headed out in the hot Louisiana heat. Good thing we have a big tree outside with shade or this would have been a really crummy idea.
She was so excited to get to show Colton how to blow bubbles, and he loved it. Now usually this is where I start freaking out and worrying about spilling it everywhere and getting sticky and dirty. NOT TODAY! I let the kids eat the gummies and blow bubbles like normal kids. Heck, I think Colton may have even have ate a couple pieces of grass, but I learned that he would live.My little red faced babies had so much fun just being outside and doing something simple. I don't always have to take them to the park, zoo, swimming, sci-port, or all the other crazy place we've already been this summer. They just enjoy being kids. Give Raelee a flower patch and she's good to go. Give Colton some snacks, and he's your friend for life.

They have taught me so much, but most of all, to enjoy every minute. I don't have to be in mommy mode ALL of the time. I have to learn to relax and take it all in. I love to just sit on the couch with both of them in my arms watching their favorite show. Nothing is greater that "cuddle time". I love watching them interact with each other and Raelee singing Colton a lullaby when she KNOWS he needs a nap. There is so much that I want to share with all of you and some really precious pics of by babies. I promise every night will not be this long. This was just the beginning of a new chapter. So tonight, I will leave you with this....Tonight as I tucked Raelee in, she hugged me and said"Thanks mom! I had sooooo much fun today!" As I kissed her goodnight I thought to myself.......I have done my job today, and I did it well!

2 comments:

Rachael Anne said...

Precious Christi! And how nice of you to share with all of us! I think you're a fantastic Mommy and I want to thank you for all you've done for Rocky and me! You're the best! See you soon, Rachael

Liz Folds said...

Christi-You finally did it! The blog is great and you made tears come to my eyes like I do sometimes when I read my niece's blog. This is such a great way to share with everyone and you are on your way. Keep it up! Liz